John the Baptist Baptized Jesus
Dear Lord, please use this study to help the children to see that you are One God and that you are also three Persons, which believers call the Holy Trinity.
Choose any of these children’s learning activities that fit their ages and needs.
1. An older child or teacher reads or tells by memory about Jesus’ baptism, Matthew 3:1-17.
· Jesus’ baptism showed the three Persons of the Trinity working together.
· The three Persons are one God and work as one; they are not three gods.
· This truth of three Persons in One God is a mystery that only God fully understands.
Ask these questions [Answers appear after each question]:
· For whom was John preparing the way? [See verse 3]
· What did folks do when John baptized them? [They confessed their sins, verse 6.]
· Of what did John warn religious people who did not confess their sins? 
· With what would Jesus baptize people who repented? [With the Holy Spirit, 12]
· Why did Jesus ask to be baptized? [To do what was right, as a model for sinners, 15]
In what way did each Person of
the Trinity appear at the baptism?
2. Dramatize the story about how the Trinity appeared at Jesus’ baptism (Matthew 3:1-7).
· Arrange with the worship leader for the children to present this drama.
teaching time with the children to prepare the drama.
· You do not have to use all the parts of the drama.
· Older children or adults play these parts:
John the Baptist, Jesus, Narrator
Younger children play these
Tell the 1st part of the story from
Matthew 3:1-12. Then say:
John (Shout) “Prepare for the Lord’s coming by repenting of your sins.”
(Some say) “I repent of my sins.”
Pharisee “I am a very religious Pharisee. I do not need to change my life.”
“I, a Sadducee, will be baptized to show how good I am.
(Shout) “You Pharisees are snakes! Change your hearts!
Tell the 2nd part of the story from Matthew
3:13-17. Then say:
Jesus “John, you must baptize me.”
“But Jesus, I am not worthy to do so.
“This is necessary, to do what is right.
Pretend to baptize Jesus. Then point up and say:
“Did you hear what God the Father said from heaven about Jesus?
Narrator Thank everyone who helped with the drama.
3. If the children dramatize this story for the adults, then let them also ask the adults the questions under #1 above.
4. Also ask:
are other examples of ways the Persons of the Trinity work together,
the children give examples if they can.
5. Memorize Luke 9:35:
“Then a voice came out of the cloud, saying, ‘This is my Son, my Chosen One; listen to him!’”
6. Let four children each recite a verse from Psalm 2:7, 8, 10 & 11.
7. Let the children draw a picture of a dove descending.
· Show the pictures to the adults during worship and explain that it shows how Jesus baptizes us with the Holy Spirit when we ask God to save us from our sins on.
If older children prefer, let
them draw a chart of the Persons of the Trinity.
· Some children might like to copy or colour the picture found at the end of this lesson.
8. Let older children write a song or poem about Jesus’ baptism or the Trinity.
9. Have an older child pray:
“Holy God, You are the One, True God. We praise you for being Three in One, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We do not understand this, but we believe in you. Thank you for baptizing us with your Spirit into the life that Jesus gives, so that we can be your children.”
A more detailed drama, about the
three persons of the Trinity taking part in Jesus’ baptism:
Jesus came to John, asking him to baptise him. We follow Jesus by asking to be baptised.