Rejoice at Harvest Time
Boaz showed gratitude for the harvest by
Dear Lord, help us all to thank you for harvests and other blessings. Help us show our gratitude by sharing your blessings with others, as Boaz did.
Choose any of these learning activities.
1. A teacher or older child reads or tells from memory about Ruth, Ruth chapter 2.
It tells how Boaz treated Ruth with kindness during Harvest.
· Have children mention things for which they thank God.
· Let the children pray and thank God for these blessings.
Boaz allowed Ruth and other poor folk to glean
food from his field during the barley harvest.
2. Dramatize the story of how Boaz showed thanks to God by sharing with others.
for the children to present the drama to the adults.
the drama while you teach the children.
· If there are not enough people for all of the parts, let the Narrator tell whose part it is and read it.
Adults or older children play these parts: Boaz, Ruth Carry a big sack or other container in which to gather grain, Naomi, Servant, Narrator.
Smaller children play Harvesters.
“Ruth chapter 2 shows how Boaz, a farmer, showed kindness to Ruth,
(Some pretend to cut grain with scythes.
Point toward the harvesters and speak to Naomi:
Naomi “Go, my daughter.”
(Follow the harvesters around for a few moments;
Boaz “Good morning, harvesters! May the Lord be with you!”
Servant (Stand near the Harvesters.) Good morning, Boaz! May the Lord bless you!”
Harvester ”May the Lord bless you!”
Watch Ruth for a while, then ask Servant,
“She is the young
Moabite woman who returned with Naomi from Moab.
(Speak to Ruth) “Listen carefully, my daughter.
Bow to the ground before Boaz, then rise and say
“What you have done for your mother-in-law, since your husband died,
“I have found favor in your sight, my lord; you have comforted me
Boaz “Come here, and dip your bread in the vinegar.”
“So Ruth sat beside the reapers; and Boaz served her roasted grain,
(Walk over to the Servant and say to him)
“So Ruth gleaned in the field until evening.
“Where did you glean today and in whose field did you work?
all who helped, then explain,
3. Children draw a picture of a sheaf of grain
Some children might like to colour the picture found at the end of this lesson.
Children show their pictures to the adults and explain that we give thanks to God for harvests and other blessings.
4. Memorize Ruth 2:12: “May the Lord reward your work, and your wages be full from the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to seek refuge”
5. Two children recite Isaiah 9:3 and 2 Corinthians 9:11.
6. Older children write a song, poem or brief drama that shows people giving thanks to God for harvests and his many other blessings.
More detailed drama dealing with the story of Ruth and Boaz, about five minutes;